- Set up in Kenya in June 1984 by key individuals.
- Started with 11 members from 8 countries in Africa.
- 38 member organisations in 17 countries in 2014.
- Peak of 60 members in 2017/18.
- 40 members in 2021 from 16 countries
- Goal of 100 members by 2024.
- Initially funded by grants from the International Union of housing Finance (IUHF) and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
- Funded through membership fees and income from AUHF activities such as the AUHF Conference and interest on cash reserves.
- Secretariat function carried out over the years by key individuals in Kenya, Nigeria, Malawi, Ghana and Zimbabwe.
- Secretariat currently with CAHF in South Africa.
- In 2024 the AUHF will celebrate 40 years in existence. Celebratory events will be posted on the site.
On the occasion of the 30th anniversary of the AUHF a brochure tracking the history of the organisation was produced. Click here to view the 30 year history recorded
The benefits of membership are:
- Association with other African housing finance players
- A monthly update of housing finance news on the African continent
- Networking opportunities
- Capacity building and knowledge sharing
- Discounted attendance to conferences, workshops and courses
- The opportunity to direct research commissioned by the union